Deer hunting is a popular pastime for many people, and one of the essential tools for any hunter is a deer feeder. A deer feeder can help attract deer to a specific area, making it easier to hunt and observe them. There are many types of deer feeders on the market, ranging from simple gravity-fed models to complex electronic feeders.
When choosing the best deer feeder, there are several critical factors to consider. The first is the type of feeder. Gravity-fed feeders are the simplest and most affordable, but they require constant refilling. Electronic feeders, on the other hand, can be programmed to dispense feed at specific times, but they are more expensive and require a power source.
Another important factor to consider is the capacity of the feeder. Larger feeders can hold more feed, which means less time spent refilling them. However, larger feeders are also heavier and more challenging to move.
We spent hours researching and testing various deer feeders to identify the ones that are most effective and user-friendly. In this article, we’ll share our top picks for the best deer feeders on the market.
Best Deer Feeders
We know how important it is to have a reliable deer feeder when you’re out hunting. That’s why we’ve put together this list of the best deer feeders on the market. Whether you’re a seasoned hunter or just starting out, these feeders will help attract deer to your hunting spot and give you the best chance at a successful hunt. So without further ado, here are our top picks for the best deer feeders.
If you want an easy-to-use and durable deer feeder, then the Moultrie 5-Gallon All-in-One Hanging Deer Feeder is a great option.
- The collapsible bucket with 30 lbs. capacity makes it easy to store and transport.
- The Quick-Lock All-In-One kit features a metal spin plate with raised edges for wind protection, a digital timer and external power port, making it convenient to use.
- No assembly is required, so you can start using it right away.
- The feeder may not be ideal for larger deer herds, as the 30 lbs. capacity may not be enough.
- The plastic construction may not be as durable as metal feeders.
- The feeder may not be squirrel-proof, so you may need to take additional measures to keep squirrels away.
We recently used the Moultrie 5-Gallon All-in-One Hanging Deer Feeder on our hunting trip, and we were impressed by how easy it was to set up and use. The collapsible bucket made it easy to transport, and the Quick-Lock All-In-One kit made it convenient to use. We also appreciated that no assembly was required, so we could start using it right away.
The feeder worked well for our needs, and we were able to attract deer to our hunting area. However, we did notice that the 30 lbs. capacity may not be enough for larger deer herds, so you may need to refill it more frequently. Additionally, the plastic construction may not be as durable as metal feeders, so you may need to take extra care when handling it.
Overall, if you’re looking for an easy-to-use and convenient deer feeder, the Moultrie 5-Gallon All-in-One Hanging Deer Feeder is a great option.Check today's price
We highly recommend the Wildgame Innovations W270D Tri-Pod Deer Feeder for hunters who want a durable and easy to use feeder with multiple feed times.
- The feeder is easy to set up and can be done in just 15 minutes.
- The 40 gal/270 lb. poly design is durable and built to last.
- It has 4 available feed times, making it easy to customize the feeding schedule.
- The instructions could be better, and some users may need to replace some of the bolts.
- The door doesn’t always stay shut, so it may be necessary to add a clasp.
- The digital power control unit runs on a 6V battery, which is not included.
We found the Wildgame Innovations W270D Tri-Pod Deer Feeder to be a great choice for hunters who want a reliable and easy to use feeder. The 40 gal/270 lb. poly design is durable and built to last, and the feeder can be set up in just 15 minutes. The 4 available feed times make it easy to customize the feeding schedule to meet your needs.
One downside to the feeder is that the instructions could be better, and some users may need to replace some of the bolts. Additionally, the door doesn’t always stay shut, so it may be necessary to add a clasp. Finally, the digital power control unit runs on a 6V battery, which is not included.
Overall, we highly recommend the Wildgame Innovations W270D Tri-Pod Deer Feeder for hunters who want a reliable and easy to use feeder with multiple feed times.Check today's price
We highly recommend the REDNEK Redneck Outdoors T-Post Gravity Feeder for anyone looking to manage and improve the size of bucks and does on their property.
- The heavy-duty, all-weather polyethylene feeding container makes this Gravity Feeder maintenance-free and durable.
- The 80-lb. capacity and 4 x 5″ feed mouth make it easy for deer to consume feed.
- The easy-to-remove cover allows for quick filling, and it includes hardware and mounting bolts.
- The height to the bottom of the feeding tube is adjustable from 34 to 60 inches, which may not be suitable for all users.
- The concave back and grooves for ratchet straps (not included) allow for easy mounting to a tree, but squirrels may chew on it.
- It takes a long while for deer to find, so it is better to put it out well in advance of hunting season.
We found the REDNEK Redneck Outdoors T-Post Gravity Feeder to be a great investment for our property. The heavy-duty, all-weather polyethylene feeding container is durable and requires no maintenance, making it perfect for harsh weather conditions. The 80-lb. capacity and 4 x 5″ feed mouth make it easy for deer to consume feed, and the easy-to-remove cover allows for quick filling. We also appreciate that it includes hardware and mounting bolts, making it easy to set up.
However, the height to the bottom of the feeding tube is adjustable from 34 to 60 inches, which may not be suitable for all users. Additionally, the concave back and grooves for ratchet straps (not included) allow for easy mounting to a tree, but squirrels may chew on it. Finally, it takes a long while for deer to find, so it is better to put it out well in advance of hunting season.
Overall, we highly recommend the REDNEK Redneck Outdoors T-Post Gravity Feeder for anyone looking to manage and improve the size of bucks and does on their property. It is a great investment and a must-have for any serious hunter.Check today's price
If you’re looking for a durable and reliable deer feeder, the Banks Outdoors Feedbank is a great option.
- Mounts on one 8-foot 4×4 (not included) set 3-feet into the ground.
- Single post won’t interfere with or damage antler growth.
- Adjustable feeding ports allow you to control the flow of feed.
- Large, watertight cover makes filling easy and keeps feed fresh.
- Feed ports stand at an optimal height of 42-inches.
- Only holds 250 lbs of Protein Pellets, not the advertised 300 lbs of shelled corn.
We recently installed this feeder on our property and have been impressed with its performance. The mounting process was straightforward, and the single post design means it doesn’t interfere with antler growth. We also appreciate the adjustable feeding ports, which allow us to control the flow of feed and prevent waste.
The large, watertight cover is another standout feature, making it easy to fill the feeder and keeping the feed fresh. The feed ports are also at an optimal height of 42 inches, which is perfect for deer.
However, we did notice that the feeder only holds 250 lbs of Protein Pellets, not the advertised 300 lbs of shelled corn. While this wasn’t a dealbreaker for us, it’s worth noting for those who need a larger capacity.
Overall, we highly recommend the Banks Outdoors Feedbank 300 lb. Capacity Deer and Wildlife Feeder 300lb for anyone in need of a durable and reliable deer feeder.Check today's price
If you’re looking for an affordable deer feeder timer kit, the Briidea Deer Feeder Timer is a great option.
- The programmable digital timer allows up to 6 feed times per day, and each feed time can be set from 1 to 60 seconds, giving you control over how much feed you want to cast and when you want to cast it.
- The spin plate is designed with galvanized steel plate, making it anti-rust and corrosion-resistant, and the ABS plastic housing is flame retardant, reducing the risk of fire.
- The deer feeder timer kit is silent, so it won’t scare away deer or other animals, and it fits most deer feed containers, making it a versatile option for feeding a variety of animals.
- The radius of throw range is only about 5ft to 6.5ft (1.5m to 2m), which may not be sufficient for larger feeding areas.
- The Briidea Deer Feeder Timer requires either a 12-volt solar panel (not included) or 4*2AA batteries (not included), which may be inconvenient for some users.
- Some users have reported difficulty programming the device, so it may take some trial and error to get it set up correctly.
We recently used the Briidea Deer Feeder Timer on a hunting trip, and we were impressed with its ease of use and affordability. The LED screen on the front of the kit makes it easy to view and set, and the clock function is a nice added bonus. The low battery indicator on the screen is also helpful, as it lets you know when it’s time to replace the batteries to prevent the feeder from failing.
The spin plate is designed with galvanized steel plate, which is anti-rust and corrosion-resistant, and the ABS plastic housing is flame retardant, reducing the risk of fire. We also appreciated the additional studs (length 8mm), which made it easy to adjust the height of the feeder.
Overall, the Briidea Deer Feeder Timer is a great option for those looking for an affordable and versatile deer feeder timer kit. While it may take some trial and error to get it set up correctly, once it’s up and running, it’s a reliable and convenient way to feed deer and other animals.Check today's price
When it comes to choosing the best deer feeder, there are several factors to consider. We’ve compiled a list of features to look for when making your purchase:
The first thing to consider is the capacity of the feeder. This will depend on the size of your property and the number of deer you plan to feed. A larger capacity feeder will require less frequent refilling, but may also be more expensive.
The feeder should be made of sturdy materials that can withstand harsh weather conditions and the potential for damage from wildlife. Look for feeders made of metal or heavy-duty plastic.
A programmable timer will allow you to set feeding times, which can be especially helpful if you want to attract deer during specific times of the day. Some feeders even have multiple feeding times per day.
Easy to Fill and Clean
Choose a feeder that is easy to fill and clean. Some feeders have a removable lid or hopper, making it easy to fill with feed. Others have a removable tray or hopper for easy cleaning.
If you choose a battery-powered feeder, consider the battery life. Look for a feeder with a long battery life to minimize the need for frequent battery changes.
Lastly, consider the price of the feeder. While you don’t want to skimp on quality, there are plenty of affordable options available. Determine your budget and look for feeders that offer the features you need within that price range.
By considering these factors, you can choose the best deer feeder for your needs.
Frequently Asked Questions
What type of deer feeder is best?
When it comes to selecting the best deer feeder, there are several options to choose from. Gravity feeders, tripod feeders, and automatic feeders are the most common types of deer feeders. Each type has its own benefits and drawbacks, so it ultimately depends on your personal preference and hunting goals.
What are the best times to run deer feeder?
The best times to run deer feeders are early in the morning and late in the evening. This is when deer are most active and likely to come to the feeder. However, it’s important to check local hunting regulations and adjust feeding times accordingly.
Is there a deer feeder that only opens during the day?
Yes, there are deer feeders that only open during the day. These types of feeders are designed to prevent nocturnal animals from eating all the feed at night. Some automatic feeders have timers that allow you to set specific feeding times, while others use sensors to detect daylight and only open during the day.
Should deer feeder be in field or woods?
Deer feeders can be placed in either fields or woods, depending on your hunting strategy. If you’re hunting in a field, it’s best to place the feeder near the edge of the field to attract deer. If you’re hunting in the woods, place the feeder in an area with good visibility and cover.
What are the benefits of using an automatic deer feeder?
Automatic deer feeders offer several benefits, including consistent feeding schedules, reduced waste, and increased hunting success. With an automatic feeder, you can set feeding times and amounts, ensuring that deer have access to food when they need it.
What are the advantages of a metal deer feeder?
Metal deer feeders are durable and long-lasting, making them a great investment for hunters. They’re also resistant to weather and pests, ensuring that your feed remains fresh and accessible to deer. Additionally, metal feeders are easy to clean and maintain, making them a convenient option for busy hunters.