When it comes to surviving in the great outdoors, having the right tools can make all the difference. One of the most essential pieces of equipment is a survival knife. A good survival knife can be used for a variety of tasks, from cutting through rope and branches to preparing food and even self-defense.
When looking for the best survival knife, there are a few important factors to consider. The type of blade, handle material, and overall size and weight are all critical things to pay attention to. A high-quality blade should be made of durable steel that can withstand heavy use and maintain its sharpness over time. The handle should be comfortable to grip and made of a material that won’t slip out of your hand, even in wet or slippery conditions.
At our site, we spent countless hours researching and testing ten of the top survival knives on the market to identify the ones that are truly the best. Whether you’re an experienced outdoorsman or just starting out, our guide will help you find the perfect survival knife to meet your needs.
Best Survival Knives
Looking for a reliable and durable survival knife can be a daunting task. With so many options available in the market, it’s easy to get overwhelmed and end up with a subpar product. But fear not, we have done the research and testing for you. Our team has scoured the market and put together a list of the best survival knives that will not only withstand the toughest conditions but also help you tackle any situation that comes your way. So, whether you’re an avid outdoorsman, a survivalist, or just someone who wants to be prepared for anything, our list of the best survival knives has got you covered.
If you’re looking for a reliable and durable survival knife, the Mossy Oak Survival Hunting Knife is a great option.
- The ultra-sharp clip point blade is made of stainless steel, providing excellent hardness, edge retention, and rust resistance.
- The rubber handle provides a comfortable and non-slip grip, even in wet conditions.
- The heavy-duty nylon sheath with an easy-open fastening system and belt hanging system makes it easy to carry.
- The knife is on the heavier side, weighing in at 16.8 oz.
- The sawback feature on the blade may not be useful for everyone.
- The sharpener and fire starter are packed separately, so be sure to check the packaging carefully.
We recently had the opportunity to test out the Mossy Oak Survival Hunting Knife on a camping trip, and we were impressed with its performance. The clip point blade was incredibly sharp and made quick work of cutting through branches and preparing food. The rubber handle provided a comfortable grip, even when our hands were wet from rain.
We also appreciated the heavy-duty nylon sheath, which made it easy to carry the knife on our belt without worrying about it falling out. The easy-open fastening system was a nice touch, as it allowed us to quickly access the knife when we needed it.
While the knife is on the heavier side, we didn’t find it to be too cumbersome to carry around. It’s definitely a sturdy knife that can handle heavy-duty tasks, but it may not be the best option for those who are looking for a lightweight knife.
Overall, we would highly recommend the Mossy Oak Survival Hunting Knife to anyone who is looking for a reliable and durable survival knife. It’s a great option for camping, hunting, and other outdoor activities.Check today's price
If you’re looking for a versatile and durable survival knife, the ALBATROSS 6-in-1 Survival Tactical Military Folding Pocket Knife with LED Light is definitely worth considering.
- The multi-function design means you get a folding knife, LED light, seatbelt cutter, glass breaker, fire starter, and bottle opener all in one compact tool.
- The right size and weight make it easy to carry around and use in various situations.
- The high-quality stainless steel and black finished coated blade, along with the aluminum anodization handle, make it sharp, durable, and wear-resistant.
- The flashlight may take a bit of effort to figure out how to use properly.
- The blade may require sharpening after frequent use.
- The bottle opener may not be as sturdy as some users would like.
We were impressed with the ALBATROSS survival knife’s versatility and durability. The LED light is a great addition for camping, hiking, or any other outdoor activity. The seatbelt cutter and glass breaker could be lifesaving in an emergency situation. The fire starter is also a useful feature for starting a fire in the wilderness. The knife is the perfect size and weight for everyday carry and use.
The high-quality stainless steel blade is sharp and durable, and the black finished coating adds an extra layer of protection. The aluminum handle is strong and durable, and it feels excellent in your hand. The knife also comes with a bottle opener, which is a handy feature to have.
While the flashlight is a nice addition, it may take some effort to figure out how to use it properly. The blade may require sharpening after frequent use, but this is to be expected with any knife. The bottle opener may not be as sturdy as some users would like, but it still gets the job done.
Overall, we highly recommend the ALBATROSS 6-in-1 Survival Tactical Military Folding Pocket Knife with LED Light. It’s a nice tool for camping, hunting, hiking, adventure, and home use, and it makes an ideal gift for hunters, fishermen, camping lovers, and anyone who enjoys the great outdoors.Check today's price
We highly recommend the Ka-Bar Mule Folder for anyone in need of a reliable and versatile survival knife.
- The heavy-duty stainless steel liners provide excellent lateral strength.
- The double thumb studs make one-handed opening easy for both right and left-handed users.
- The rubber inserts on the handle ensure a comfortable and slip-resistant grip.
- The knife can be difficult to close.
- The blade edge angle may not be suitable for some users.
- The sheath may not be as durable as some other options.
The Ka-Bar Mule Folder is a solid and dependable folding knife that can handle a variety of tasks. The stainless steel liners provide excellent lateral strength, making it a reliable option for heavy-duty use. The double thumb studs make one-handed opening easy, which is a great feature for those who need to keep their other hand free. The rubber inserts on the handle provide a comfortable and slip-resistant grip, which is especially important in wet or slippery conditions.
However, the knife can be difficult to close, which may be a drawback for some users. Additionally, the blade edge angle may not be suitable for those who prefer a different angle. Finally, the sheath may not be as durable as some other options, which may be a concern for those who plan to use the knife frequently.
Overall, the Ka-Bar Mule Folder is an excellent choice for anyone in need of a reliable and versatile survival knife. Its sturdy construction and comfortable grip make it a great option for a variety of tasks, from camping to hunting to everyday use.Check today's price
If you’re looking for a reliable and durable survival knife, the Smith & Wesson Extreme Ops SWA24S Folding Knife is a great option.
- The blade is made of reliable 7Cr17Mov black oxide high carbon stainless steel, making it strong and durable.
- The knife is lightweight, with a weight of only 3.5 ounces, making it easy to carry around.
- The liner lock ensures that the blade will not slip and provides added security.
- The knife is not very big, with a blade length of only 3.1 inches, so it may not be suitable for heavy-duty tasks.
- The serrations on the blade may not be as sharp as some users would like.
- The handle may be too small for users with larger hands.
We’ve had a chance to use this knife in various situations, and overall we were impressed with its performance. The blade is sharp and cuts through various materials with ease. The aluminum handle is comfortable to hold and provides a good grip, even in wet conditions.
One of the standout features of this knife is its convenient pocket clip, which makes it easy to carry around and access when needed. The finger flipper and ambidextrous thumb knobs also make it easy to open and close the blade with one hand.
Overall, we would recommend the Smith & Wesson Extreme Ops SWA24S Folding Knife to anyone looking for a reliable and durable survival knife that is easy to carry around and use in a variety of situations.Check today's price
If you’re looking for a reliable survival knife, the Kershaw Blur Black is definitely worth considering. We’ve found it to be a great all-around knife that can handle a variety of tasks.
- The SpeedSafe assisted opening makes it easy to open with one hand, which is especially useful in survival situations.
- The reversible pocket clip allows for easy storage and carrying, making it a convenient choice for everyday use.
- The Trac-Tec grip on the handle provides a secure hold, even in wet or slippery conditions.
- The blade may not be as durable as some other survival knives on the market.
- The handle may feel a bit bulky for those with smaller hands.
- The blade’s cerakote finish may wear off over time with heavy use.
We’ve found the Kershaw Blur Black to be a great knife for everyday use and survival situations alike. The assisted opening makes it easy to use with one hand, while the Trac-Tec grip ensures a secure hold even in challenging conditions. However, the blade’s durability may not be as good as some other survival knives on the market, and the handle may feel a bit bulky for those with smaller hands. Overall, we think it’s a solid choice for anyone in need of a reliable survival knife.Check today's price
If you’re looking for a tactical knife that can handle any situation, the Cold Steel Recon 1 is a great choice. Its tough construction and superior grip make it ideal for outdoor activities.
- The blade is made of vacuum-heat-treated, sub-zero-quenched stainless steel, making it incredibly strong and durable.
- The Teflon finish on the blade helps it resist rust, eliminates glare, and allows it to slip through tough material with less friction.
- The handle’s G-10 laminate scales are contoured and scalloped to produce a superior nonslip grip.
- The knife is quite heavy, weighing in at 5.3 ounces, which may be a concern for some users.
- The Tri Ad lock can be difficult to disengage, especially when the knife is new.
- The blade may require some sharpening out of the box.
We were impressed with the Cold Steel Recon 1’s performance in the field. The blade is incredibly sharp and holds an edge well, even after extended use. The handle is comfortable to grip and provides a secure hold, even in wet conditions. The Teflon finish on the blade not only looks great but also provides some tactical advantages, as mentioned above.
One thing to note is that the knife does require some breaking in. When we first received it, the Tri Ad lock was quite stiff and difficult to disengage. However, after a few uses, it became much easier to operate.
Overall, we highly recommend the Cold Steel Recon 1 Tactical Knife for anyone in need of a reliable and durable tactical knife.Check today's price
If you’re looking for a sturdy and lightweight combat knife, the KA-BAR BKR7-BRK Combat Utility is an excellent choice.
- The 1095 Cor-Van steel blade is easy to sharpen and keeps its edge well.
- The glass-fiber-filled nylon handle is durable and provides a comfortable grip.
- The 20-degree edge angle and 7-inch blade length make it a versatile tool for a variety of tasks.
- The sheath is made in Taiwan, which may be a concern for some buyers.
- The knife is relatively heavy at 0.85 pounds, which may not be ideal for backpacking or other weight-conscious activities.
- The flat grind may not be suitable for all cutting tasks, such as slicing through thicker materials.
We were impressed with the KA-BAR BKR7-BRK Combat Utility’s overall quality and performance. The blade is sharp and durable, and the handle provides a comfortable grip even during extended use. We found it to be versatile enough to handle a variety of tasks, from chopping wood to preparing food.
One potential downside is the weight of the knife, which may not be ideal for backpacking or other activities where weight is a concern. Additionally, the flat grind may not be suitable for all cutting tasks, such as slicing through thicker materials.
Overall, we would recommend the KA-BAR BKR7-BRK Combat Utility to anyone looking for a reliable and versatile combat knife.Check today's price
If you’re looking for a reliable, versatile survival knife, the Gerber LMF II is a great choice.
- The serrated blade can handle a variety of cutting tasks, from firewood to seat belts.
- The unique buttcap can be used to pierce glass, making it a useful tool for emergencies.
- The overmolded handle provides a secure grip and helps prevent blisters.
- The knife is on the heavier side, which may be a drawback for some users.
- The included sheath could be more durable.
- The blade may require sharpening more frequently than some other knives.
We’ve used the Gerber LMF II in a variety of situations and have found it to be a reliable and versatile tool. The serrated blade is strong enough to handle tough cutting tasks, while the unique buttcap provides an additional function that could be useful in an emergency situation.
The overmolded handle is comfortable to grip and helps prevent blisters, making it a good choice for extended use. However, the knife is on the heavier side, which may be a drawback for some users.
The included sheath is functional, but could be more durable. Additionally, the blade may require sharpening more frequently than some other knives.
Overall, we would recommend the Gerber LMF II as a solid choice for a survival knife.Check today's price
When it comes to choosing the best survival knife, there are several factors to consider. We want to make sure that we are getting the best product for our needs and budget. Here are some features to look at when buying a survival knife:
The blade material is a crucial factor to consider when choosing a survival knife. The most common materials used in survival knives are stainless steel and carbon steel. Stainless steel is rust-resistant and easy to maintain, while carbon steel is known for its durability and sharpness. Both materials have their pros and cons, so it’s essential to choose what works best for you.
The blade shape is another feature to consider. There are three common blade shapes: drop point, clip point, and tanto. Drop point blades are ideal for general-purpose use, while clip point blades are suitable for piercing and slicing tasks. Tanto blades are perfect for heavy-duty tasks and piercing tough materials.
The blade length is a personal preference, but it’s essential to choose a length that fits your needs. A shorter blade is easier to maneuver and control, while a longer blade is ideal for heavy-duty tasks.
The tang is the part of the blade that extends into the handle. A full tang knife has a blade that extends through the entire length of the handle, providing maximum strength and durability. A partial tang knife has a blade that extends only partway into the handle, making it less durable.
The handle material is another factor to consider. The most common handle materials are wood, plastic, and metal. Wood handles provide a comfortable grip, while plastic handles are lightweight and easy to maintain. Metal handles are durable but can be slippery when wet.
The sheath is the protective cover for the blade. A good sheath should be durable and fit the blade securely. Leather and nylon are the most common sheath materials.
By considering these factors, we can choose the best survival knife for our needs. Remember to choose a knife that fits your budget and requirements.
Frequently Asked Questions
What makes a good survival knife?
A good survival knife should be sturdy and durable enough to withstand harsh environments and heavy usage. It should have a strong and sharp blade that can cut through different materials such as wood, rope, and even meat. The handle should be comfortable to hold, and provide a good grip even when wet. A good survival knife should also be easy to maintain and sharpen.
What is the best material for a survival knife?
The best material for a survival knife depends on personal preference and intended use. Stainless steel and high carbon steel are popular choices for their durability and resistance to corrosion. Ceramic blades are also becoming popular due to their sharpness and resistance to wear. Titanium and other alloys are also used for their strength and lightweight properties.
How do I choose the right size survival knife?
The size of a survival knife should match the intended use. A larger blade is better for heavy-duty tasks such as chopping wood, while a smaller blade is better for precision tasks such as carving and skinning. The length of the blade should be between 4 to 6 inches for most survival situations.
What are the best brands for survival knives?
There are many reputable brands that produce high-quality survival knives. Some popular brands include Gerber, Benchmade, SOG, and ESEE. It’s important to do research and read reviews before making a purchase.
What are the key features of a survival knife?
The key features of a survival knife include a strong and durable blade, a comfortable and non-slip handle, a full tang construction, and a versatile design that can handle a variety of tasks. A good survival knife should also be easy to maintain and sharpen, and come with a sheath for safe storage and transportation.