When does bow season start in West Virginia? The archery season in West Virginia begins on the last Saturday of September each year. West Virginia’s 2021 archery and crossbow seasons for white-tailed deer, black bear, and wild boar began on Saturday, September 25th, and will end on December 31st. The bow season starts on September 1st. Here are some other things to keep in mind.
Why is it Important to Know When to Hunt?
Because several hunting seasons are available throughout the year, it’s essential for hunters to stay up to date on current West Virginia hunting rules so they don’t run into problems with their local law enforcement. (1)
These rules will show you how to hunt properly in West Virginia.
- Except during spring turkey season, nonmigratory birds and game animals can be seen from one-half hour before sunrise to one-half hour after sunset.
- During the spring turkey season, hunting hours are one-half hour before sunrise until 12 noon, with the exception of the last 20 days, when hunting hours are one-half hour before sunrise till sunset.
- The bear hound training season is open daily from 4:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m., including Sundays.
- During allowed seasons, bobcats, foxes, raccoons, and opossums may be hunted at any time of day or night.
- Nuisance species can be hunted at any time of day or night.
Sunday hunting is permitted throughout the regular hunting seasons under the following conditions:
- On Sunday, any landowner, member of his family, or person with written permission from the landowner may hunt on his or her property, save within 200 yards of a place of worship or any accessory construction thereto. (2)
- On licensed hunting (shooting) preserves, hunting is authorized.
- On Sunday, raccoons may be hunted.
Aside from these limitations and any exemptions given directly by law in the past, it will remain illegal on Sundays to hunt or kill any wild bird or wild animal, including any nuisance species, with a gun, firearm, or another weapon. On Sundays, it will also be illegal to hunt or kill any deer or bear with a gun, firearm, or another weapon with the aid or assistance of dogs.
Here is the guide for hunting deer tips that you can check later.
Hunting Regulations and Hours
The West Virginia Division of Natural Resources maintains year-round and seasonal hunting regulations. Bag limits, special seasons, and hunting rules in West Virginia vary by animal and season.
It’s Illegal to:
- hunt using a crossbow that does not have:
- at least a 125-pound draw weight
- functioning security.
- Arrows and bolts must be at least 16 inches long, including the insert and nock.
- broadheads with at least two sharp cutting edges and a width of at least 3/4 inch.
- Deer should be hunted with arrows that have fewer than two sharp-cutting edges and are less than 3/4 inches wide.
- Except with a modified bow permit authorized by the Director, employ a bow-locking mechanism.
- Make use of an arrow with an explosive, drug-laced, or poisonous head or shaft.
- To hunt deer, use an electronic call.
- be out with both a gun and a bow or a gun and an arrow
Costs of Replacing Antlered Deer Injured or Killed Illegally
In addition to the $500 replacement value of the deer, any person guilty of violating any criminal statute of this state and causing the harm or death of antlered deer shall forfeit the following costs to the state:
- For any deer with an inside spread of the major beams on the antlers equaling 14″ or greater but less than 16″ – $2,500.
- For any deer with an inside spread of the main beams on the antlers equaling 16″ or greater but less than 18″ – $5,000.
- For any deer with an interior spread of the main beams on the antlers measuring at the widest point of 18″ or more but less than 20″ – $7,500.
- For any deer in which the inside spread of the main beams on the antlers measured at the widest point equals 20″ or more – $10,000.
- Any person convicted of a second or subsequent violation of any criminal law of this state, which violation causes the injury or death of an antlered deer, is subject to forfeiture of double the authorized range of replacement cost.
- Anyone guilty of the above-mentioned replacement costs will also have their hunting and fishing permits revoked for a term of five years.
Whether you’re seeking big or little game, West Virginia’s stunning outdoors and abundant animals provide the ideal hunting grounds. Here are the dates for various game seasons given below.
West Virginia Wild Boar Seasons
|West Virginia Wild Boar Seasons
|24th Sept. -31st Dec. and Feb. 4-6
|Oct. 23-30 and Feb. 4-6
|West Virginia Deer Seasons
|Nov. 22-Dec. 5
|Archery and Crossbow
|Sept. 25-Dec. 31
|21st -24th Oct., 22nd -25th Nov., 9th-12th Dec, and 28th-31st Dec.**
|Oct. 16-17 and Dec. 26-27
**Season dates vary by zone, and hunts may be authorized exclusively in certain counties.
|West Virginia Turkey Seasons
|Fall General Season
|Oct. 9-17, Oct. 25-Nov. 14**
|Spring General Season, Bearded Only
|Apr. 18-May 22, 2021
|Spring Youth Season
|West Virginia Black Bear Seasons
|Sept. 25-Dec. 31
|Aug. 29-Dec. 31**
|West Virginia Small Game Seasons
|Sept. 11-Feb. 28
|Oct. 16-Feb. 28
|Nov. 6-Jan. 2
|Rabbit and Hare
|Nov. 6-Feb. 28
|Nov. 6-Jan. 2**
|Oct. 16-Feb. 28
(1) law enforcement – https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/earth-and-planetary-sciences/law-enforcement
(2) landowner – https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/earth-and-planetary-sciences/landowner